Friday, May 29, 2015

Corey Ave Arts & Crafts

My second Arts & Crafts event will take place June 6 - 7 on Corey Ave. near St. Pete Beach. I decided to rework the walls of the tent after the pegboard showed signs of wear after just one show. Looked into buying commercial art display panels until I discovered the cost.

Making your own display walls on U-tube and found a couple of alternatives using a polyethylene woven material, which could be purchased at a home improvement store or Joanne Fabrics. Discovered that the home improvement option required the purchase of exterior shades, which was expensive. Joanne Fabrics didn't carry what I was looking for, but found another possibility on the discount table  - 10 yards for 19.99 - but upon checking out I was told it was the price per yard - I let the employee return it to the table.

At Home Depot I happened across outdoor carpet that was 6 x 8 feet and on sale for 17 dollars. Quick math told me I could carpet four panels with one roll. I purchased one in order to test the viability of the project. My first two panels favored the iffy side since I stapled the carpet to the pegboard, then used a razor knife to trim off the excess - couldn't hold a straight line and the staples didn't penetrate without using a hammer.

Wondering what 'Tool man Tim' might do, I decided to cut the carpet using scissors and use spray-on adhesive. Discovered the carpet adhered with a heavy duty commercial grade adhesive, but not so well with hobby adhesive.

Over all it took me three days to complete the project, but the carpet really improves the look of the walls. I also re-engineered how the walls would be assembled, since they were wobbly. Knowing that the up-coming show was close to the beach, wind would be a factor. I figured out a way to secure them to the frame of the tent and with the new weights I made to hold the tent down in wind, the added weight of the walls should hold up against heavy wind.

I'm optimistic that the show will be profitable - although, I am concerned with pricing my work. According to other artist, the rule of thumb is $1 per square inch - unframed. So the question is, 'do I price according to clientele attending or for what the work should be worth?'  Not knowing the volume or type of customers attending this show, I at a loss.  I have always told my children, "Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay."

I have decided to leave the large pieces at home since they would command a thousand dollars or more, and I would be surprised if there would be people walking around with that kind of cash burning a hole in their pocket.

If anyone out in cyber land  would like to weigh in on this, I would welcome the comments.

When I assemble the new booth I'll post pictures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment