Sunday, June 7, 2015

The aftermath


Two days of melting heat and humidity ended Sunday at 4pm with an approaching thunderstorm. I wish I collected a dollar for every, "Beautiful work", "I love your work", I would have left the show with money in my pocket.

I relate this experience to fishing. I sit in my fishing kayak, knowing hundreds of fish are swimming around me, but no matter what bait I put before them, not one strike. When I asked Sid and Lee, the couple who ran the booth next to ours, how his day was going, he just displayed a disgusted look. He returned the question and I replied, "Everyone just kicking tires".

Most of the paintings I've posted on my blog were offered as bait, most received accolades, but two works caught everyone's eye, "Two Willets Feeding"


and "Pines In The Mist"

Not that either one sold, but I have three interested parties in the 36x48, black and white Willets, which would make the show break even. Each party said they would call me with an offer - I rather have one in hand than three in the bush.

I'm beginning to believe applying to art festivals would be a better investment than arts and craft shows. I would be competing against other artists for customers, customers who are there to purchase art. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment